I'm so excited to announce that my new high-end line of bedding is now available for sale at Neiman Marcus. The Somerset Collection by Dena Atelier is the perfect sophisticated look for your master bedroom. Featuring luxurious linen in crisp white with delicate embroidered details and couture finishes, this collection is sure to be a classic. Because it's tonal white on white, the Somerset Collection acts as a lovely base layer that will never go out of style. Build on the collection with elegant decorative pillows to make the look your own, or keep it simple as is.
Summer is here and what better way to relax than a day spent lounging at the beach on a colorful Beach Blanket Roll Up! With a pillow and two pockets for your sunscreen, book or sunglasses, this DIY is going to be your new favorite summer accessory! Plus, it rolls up and has handles so you can grab and go!
- Beach Towel - I used my Elephant Beach Towel from Bardwil, but you can use any towel you have
- Fabric - I used Ikat Dot in Turquoise from my new Butterfly Garden fabric collection for FreeSpirit
- Pillow - Any size
- Sewing Machine and Thread
- Sewing Needle and Thread
- Fabric Marker
- Measure the beach towel. Mine was 35x68 inches. Cut a rectangle of fabric to the beach towel measurement, adding 2 inches to the length measurement. With right sides together, pin the beach towel to the fabric, leaving the extra length at the top. Sew around 3 sides with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving the top open. Turn right side out and press with an iron.
- Measure the pillow. My pillow was 14x17 inches. Add enough to the width measurement to match the width of the towel plus 1 inch. Double the length measurement and add 2 inches. Cut a piece of fabric to this measurement. Mine ended up being 30x18 inches.
- Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together. Sew the 2 short sides closed, leaving the bottom open. Turn right side out and press with an iron.
- Find the middle of the pillowcase and measure out half of the width of the pillow on either side. For example, my pillow is 17 inches wide, so I measured out 8.5 inches on either side. Mark this measurement with a fabric marker down the length of the pillowcase. Sew down those lines. This creates a pocket for the pillow in the middle of the pillowcase.
- Measure the 2 rectangles on the sides of the pillowcase. Mine ended up being 8x14 inches. Add 1 inch to each measurement and cut 2 rectangles of fabric at that measurement. These will be little pockets on either side of your pillow.
- Fold each side of the rectangle in and press. Fold one of the long sides in again and press. Stitch this side closed. Repeat on the 2nd rectangle.
- Pin the rectangle to your pillowcase with the stitched side facing where the pillow will go. Sew the 3 other sides onto the pillowcase. Repeat on the 2nd rectangle.
- Put your pillow inside and, with right sides together, pin the bottom of the pillowcase to the top of the fabric, pinning the pillow opening closed. Sew with the sewing machine. If the pillow is too big, you may have to hand-stitch this part.
- Pin the top of the beach towel to the pillowcase. Hand stitch closed.
- Cut 2 rectangles for the handles. I cut mine at 3.5x19 inches. Fold in half lengthwise with right sides together and sew 3 sides, leaving one of the short sides open. Turn right side out (It helps to have a loop-turner, but I did mine without.) Press with an iron. Turn the open end in 1/2" and press.
- Pin the handle onto the bottom of the Beach Towel on the Fabric Side. Sew with the sewing machine.
- Roll the blanket up starting with the pillow to figure out where the other handle should go. Pin the handle wherever it fits best and hand-stitch.
My husband travels a lot for work, so with Father's Day just around the corner, my kids and I wanted to give him something that would remind him of home. As you know, we are all dog lovers in my family. Our dogs follow my husband around like he's the head of the pack! So I thought, what better gift than a photo pillow shaped like "man's best friend"! This DIY is so easy and adorable. It's perfect for Father's Day, but can also work for any occasion.
- A Very Cute Photo of Your Pet
- Medium Weight White Canvas
- Photo Fabric
- Sewing Thread and Needle
- Sewing Machine
- Print our the photo of your pet onto the Photo Fabric, following the directions on the packaging. Make sure it is the size you want and is centered on the page with about a half inch to spare on all sides.
- Cut out the image, leaving about 1/2" of space around all edges. Sew the Photo Fabric onto your canvas and trim the canvas to the appropriate shape, again leaving about 1/2" around all edges for seam allowance.
- Cut a second piece of canvas in this same shape for the back of the pillow.
- With right sides together, pin the front and back of the pillow together and sew, leaving about 2-3" open on one side.
- Notch all edges of your pillow by cutting out small triangles from the seam allowance. This will allow for smooth, rounded edges when the pillow is stuffed.
- Flip the pillow right side out and stuff it with your Polyfill.
- When the pillow is good and full, hand-stitch the remaining 2-3" of the seam.
- Make it even more personal by adding a sweet note and attaching it with a pin.