September is the perfect month to start getting your style on point. Fabulous fall fashion is the main subject in just about every magazine! You don't need to buy a whole new wardrobe to look amazing. I love to update last year's looks with easy embellishments and a DIY attitude. This project adds just a hint of color and detail to a simple white jacket, making it oh-so-chic!
- Solid color jacket or coat with a lapel
- One color of embroidery thread - 3 strands
- Embroidery needle
- Dressmaker's marking pencil
- Begin by drawing your design on the lapel or collar using a dressmaker's marking pencil. The pencil will fade away with time or will come off in the wash. I created a pretty swirly pattern on my lapels, but you can be creative.
- Cut a length of embroidery thread. You don't want to cut it too long because it will tangle. Split the thread in half so that it is thinner (You'll peel down the thread just as you would string cheese). Knot one end and thread the other through the embroidery needle.
- Using a running stitch, trace over the design. Continue until your design is covered. You'll probably run out of thread at some point in your design. Simply send the needle down to the underside of the lapel and tie in a knot. Then continue step 2 with a new length of thread.