Long weekends are perfect for getting DIY projects done around the house. This is one of my favorite projects to liven up a room because it's a lot easier than you might think and it's really inexpensive. A little bit of gold paint goes a long way in making any room feel luxe. Customize it your way with your own design, or print out our downloadable medallion pattern.
- Black permanent marker
- Mylar sheet
- X-ACTO knife
- Low-tack masking tape
- Iridescent Gold Acrylic Paint (I like the Golden Brand pictured below)
- Plate or palette
- Airtight container
- Rags or paper towels
- Stencil brushes, either flat-tipped or domed
- Damp sponge
- With a permanent marker, draw or trace your stencil design onto a Mylar sheet. You can download our medallion design by clicking here.
- Use an X-ACTO knife to carefully cut out the design.
- Plot your pattern. With a ruler and pencil, lightly mark guidelines on the wall. Use a level to check all verticals and horizontals.
- Beginning at the bottommost corner of the wall, adhere your stencil to the wall with low-tack masking tape.
- Spread rags or paper towels on the floor to catch any spills or drips.
- Put a small amount of acrylic paint onto a plate or palette. Store the remaining paint in an airtight container.
- Dip the dry stencil brush into the paint and dab it on a rag or paper towel. You don't want excess or watery paint to run down the wall.
- Holding the stencil brush perpendicular to the wall, apply the paint. For a speckled effect, lightly tap; for a smoother effect, use a circular motion
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 until the wall is covered.
- If any paint accidentally drips or gets onto the wall, you can clean it up with a damp sponge before it dries. The wall will be dry in about 12 hours.